Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Birthday Fib

April 3, 2008

My son just celebrated his 4th birthday this morning. He woke up around 6:45am and instead of waking us up, decided to break into the gifts on the buffet that his mother nicely wrapped. When I came into the kitchen awoken by the rustling of spiderman wrapping paper, his joy was illuminating. He had just opened "monster mutt" a new Monster truck that he had taken fascination too while at his first Monster Truck rally. He immediately responded to tell me that he found the gifts that way and he had not opened them. I quickly said that we had wrapped them last night and asked if he did indeed unwrap them and was telling me the truth. He immediately said that he had only opened two but that was because he could not reach the big one or he would have just opened one.

I found it funny that when faced with the opportunity, my child will lie knowingly until asked if he were lying. His response was quick, but that is because he thought no one was looking until faced with reason. Later the next night before bedtime we revisited the birthday morning incident. I told him that I talk to God and that he speaks to me. I used this opportunity to present to Granville that God is with us always and sees everything. His response:

"dad, if God is in my heart, how does he see through my skin?"

Hence I presented that his spirit is all around. Now I know what you are thinking. God did not tell me that Granville was opening presents, and that is where my actions as a Dad can carry to my son(s) for a long time. They emmulate me. My stretch in truth is where they learn to stretch the truth. My relationship with our lord Jesus is not strong enough to protect my actions from doing what is absolutley right. As a father, I am happy for the teaching, but the lesson has been learned from me just as much. Decisions that I make and things that I say, are also always in the presence of our father.

Remember the saying "character is identified by the actions you take when no one is looking"

Every Day Dad!!

No comments: